Cooking is a creative expression of love for most families. When I cook, I want really good recipes that my family will enjoy, and won't stress me out at supper time. My goal is for time spent in the kitchen to be memorable teaching moments with my kiddos... full of love, laughter, and great conversation! At the same time, the kids are learning to prepare meals and learn a little math in the best school they could attend... our kitchen! Let's get cookin' and share some recipes! :)
UPDATE:
I am turning this blog over to my sweet Emma who will share some of her recipes for kids. Welcome, Emma! :)

Monday, December 10, 2012

Homemade Wheat Bread

There are lots of recipes for homemade wheat bread and rolls. We like the EASY and YUMMY ones! This recipe comes from my fav healthy living cookbook,
though I've tweaked it just a tad.
Here is their website:



First, we grind 4 cups of wheat in the Whisper Mill, which will give you about 5 cups of flour.


The wheat berries turn into soft warm flour!
(This amazes my son!)
FYI... the quicker you use the wheat flour, the more nutrients you get out of it.  I have read that wheat will lose most of it nutrients around 24 hours after being milled. (I believe the source is Bread Beckers, their link is at the top of this page)



In a mixing bowl, add in order:

2 cups hot tap water
1/2 cup Olive Oil (Extra Virgin...the darker, the healthier)
1/2 cup Honey (local is healthier)
Stir in 3 cups of the wheat flour

Add 2 tsp. Yeast (or 2 1/4 oz. packets)
2 tsp. Salt (Sea Salt)
1 egg
Mix and add the remaining flour, about 2 cups or so.  (It will be sticky, not a formed ball like white flour dough.)





Pour dough into bread machine for kneading. My machine takes about 90 minutes.



Prepare pans with real butter or olive oil, preheat oven to 325 degrees.



Watch it rise!



Pull and roll into balls. Dough will be sticky.



Like these!



Bake in oven for 18 minutes.



They're done!!
Mmmm smells good!



Spead real butter over tops making them irrisistable!

**Cut this recipe in half to make one loaf of bread in your machine!**



No comments:

Post a Comment

Leave your sweet comment or yummy recipe here!